
Interesting reading a 1963 "Salvete" page out of an old "Lion", particularly as I immediately noticed it contained an error. A certain B. St. G. Butler-Davis is shown as arriving in IVA in the Summer term of 1963. This would have been Brinsley St. George Butler- Davis, who was in the same form as myself in both 1A (1960-61) and 2A (1961-62). I seem to remember him LEAVING when we were all in 3A (i.e. 1963). He should have been on the "Valete"
page, and as being in 3A not in IVA. Alastair Muir and Dick Boyce (also mentioned) DID join Price's in 1963 in the third form - I do remember that. So the page appears to be otherwise correct. I wonder if Mr. Butler-Davis ever noticed this mistake; as he left, he probably never collected his copy of "the Lion".
The page on Bert Shaw's retirement also brings back memories as I recall that on the announcement of his retirement during "Assembly", Bert got a resounding and spontaneous cheer from the whole school which actually moved him to tears. Certainly, he was a disciplinarian of the old school, which by the mid-sixties made him a little like a fish out of water. Nonetheless, he was popular with the boys and this despite his "hands-on" attitude to chastisement. The sort of methods that could land a teacher in court, even gaol, these days. You wouldn't keep your job at all, never mind for 38 years! Being unsporty, I was never one of Bert's favourite pupils. Notwithstanding this I did get on well with him and he had a lot of respect for me. I'd missed a month's tuition just days into my first year at Price's after breaking my shin bone in a football game. On returning to the school in mid-October I found myself clueless in Latin lessons. For about a week Bert gave me extra tuition after school and was pleased with the speed with which I managed to catch up. So much so that he publicly praised my progress to the whole assembled school at the end of the year (and much to my embarrasment!!). It is because of this that I always associate him with school Latin - despite the incredulity with which some old boys have greeted the idea of him ever having taught the subject.
yours
PETE BEWERS (1960-66)
page, and as being in 3A not in IVA. Alastair Muir and Dick Boyce (also mentioned) DID join Price's in 1963 in the third form - I do remember that. So the page appears to be otherwise correct. I wonder if Mr. Butler-Davis ever noticed this mistake; as he left, he probably never collected his copy of "the Lion".
The page on Bert Shaw's retirement also brings back memories as I recall that on the announcement of his retirement during "Assembly", Bert got a resounding and spontaneous cheer from the whole school which actually moved him to tears. Certainly, he was a disciplinarian of the old school, which by the mid-sixties made him a little like a fish out of water. Nonetheless, he was popular with the boys and this despite his "hands-on" attitude to chastisement. The sort of methods that could land a teacher in court, even gaol, these days. You wouldn't keep your job at all, never mind for 38 years! Being unsporty, I was never one of Bert's favourite pupils. Notwithstanding this I did get on well with him and he had a lot of respect for me. I'd missed a month's tuition just days into my first year at Price's after breaking my shin bone in a football game. On returning to the school in mid-October I found myself clueless in Latin lessons. For about a week Bert gave me extra tuition after school and was pleased with the speed with which I managed to catch up. So much so that he publicly praised my progress to the whole assembled school at the end of the year (and much to my embarrasment!!). It is because of this that I always associate him with school Latin - despite the incredulity with which some old boys have greeted the idea of him ever having taught the subject.
yours
PETE BEWERS (1960-66)
1 comment:
Post a Comment