Tuesday, 8 April 2008

Terry Gleed and CCF uniforms...

I positively hated the CCF and all it stood for. I was so small that for two years they could not find a uniform to fit. When eventually they did the shirt was big enough to to camp out in and my mother spent hours tailoring it to fit me. Tom Hilton then threatened to prosecute for "defacing army property". Can you believe it?

However, I got my own back when it was discovered that I could shoot. I was already a member of Hedge End Rifle Club and shot competitively for them. I was then detailed to go to the range to coach cadets and I did that for the next 3 years. No square bashing and the only time I was brought into line was the Annual Inspection by Brigadier whoever. I am not, by nature, unwilling to play my part but as far as the CCF was concerned I did all I could not to be part of it. Even in later life I encouraged lads of my age to join the army just so that I may not have to go. Fortunately conscription finished 2 monthe before my apprecticship finished so I never did go.

Regards

Terry

No comments: